COPPERSMITH’S HOUSE, 1842
The Coppersmith’s House formerly stood at Vaasankatu 27. Shoemaker Samuel Lindqvist had it built in 1842. Coppersmith Carl Erik Sjöblom, who later owned the building, had it extended in 1850. In 1893, the house was bought by postman Otto Wilhelm Helenius, whose family owned the building until it was demolished in 1953.
In days gone by, the house was full of hustle and bustle. Though the house was small, it was a home to the coppersmith’s family and its many children, to journeymen, apprentices, tenants, and to visiting customers – the more the merrier! The Coppersmith’s House was decorated with a coppersmith’s kitchen, chamber and hall, a locksmith’s widow’s chamber, and shoemaker Otto Kukkainen’s workshop and chamber.