The smithy designed by smith Herman Toivola was built in 1890. The smithy had an earthen floor and, naturally, a forge. The smithy was built from brick, and its wooden ceiling was protected with asphalt felt. Herman Toivola immediately drew up plans for an extension in 1891, with three rooms and fireplaces.
The risk of a fire on the smith’s plot was carefully considered. As an enthusiastic voluntary firefighter, Herman Toivola fitted his courtyard with excellent firefighting equipment. There were two pike poles, two buckets, and four ladders on the property. A portable fire hose made in the Toivola smithy was also available, and could “transport a minimum of 21 litres of water per minute”.