A boom in timber trade during the 1870s caused cramped housing conditions in Jyväskylä. Even during the short period that the plot was owned by farm owner Abraham Hoskari from Keuruu, construction took place in the Toivola courtyard, and the number of residents increased.
TOIVOLA HOUSE, 1890
A residence designed by Smith Herman Toivola, who was still a tenant on the plot at that time, was completed in 1890. The building contained a hallway, kitchen, two chambers and a hall in the wing facing the street.
A couple of years after completion, facing that was typical for wooden houses at the turn of the 20th century was installed, with alternating vertical and horizontal facing. The T-shaped windows consisted of three panes of glass that allowed light into the rooms. The T-model windows became popular in the 1870s. The building below the asphalt felt roofing was painted with oil-based paint.