CRAFTSMANSHIP MUSEUM: COPPERSMITH’S HOUSE AND CARPENTER’S HOUSE
The Craftsmanship Museum consists of the Coppersmith’s House and Carpenter’s House, which are the oldest buildings still standing in Jyväskylä. They are rare examples of the old construction method used in Jyväskylä, which was founded in 1837. The city’s early residential buildings were built along the street; hipped-roofed timber houses with wide, horizontal board facing and six-paned windows. Craftsmen’s houses were often smaller than merchant houses.
The Coppersmith’s House and Carpenter’s House were demolished to make way for apartment buildings in the mid-1950s. They were moved to the Museum of Central Finland’s Ruusupuisto park, where they were decorated in the late 19th century style and opened to the public as the Museum of Central Finland’s craftsmen’s homes. In winter 2010, the houses were moved to the Toivola Old Courtyard, where they have continued to operated as Craftsmen’s Houses for the Museum of Central Finland.